Followers

Sunday, June 10, 2012

     I am still reading "Catherine the Great".... on page 498.   She was an amazing woman for her time.  She worried  about the plight of the serfs and tried to help them but realized that they were an integral part of her country at just the level they were already in.  Freeing the serfs would have broken down her monarchy.  She had 3 children,  none of whom was fathered by her husband!  She had constant lovers throughout her whole life, changing them when she got bored.  She was very generous to her lovers and their families giving them thousands of rubles and often pensions when they left!  She fought wars and annexed land just as any man would have.  Potemkin was the most important man in her life he assured that her rule was as smooth as it could be and was instrumental in annexing the Crimea. Very interesting side issues re the Royals of Europe are also included in this book.
     Have slowed in my reading as I have been fortunate in having the company of relatives this week and enjoyed it very much.  I looks as if everything I planted has survived so far.  Unluckily the excessive rain has not helped my tomatoes....the are very leggy in spite of having been "pinched" back.  They are in containers and some are as tall as I am!! 
     The GOP continues its lies against Obama.   I wish more people would pay attention to the awful way they are tearing away at OUR president.  More Democrats need to speak up.  I often add comments when I read the Washington Post.  There is certainly a need to cut back on our spending but we aslo need to raise revenues.  As I wrote in the Washington Post....I would like to see proof that the congress means business when it comes to cutting spending by starting with .... doing away with  the tax cut for the wealthy and the cutting back on the pensions that the congress has so generously given itself!!

No comments:

Post a Comment